Friday, September 26, 2014

Volleyball Timeline

   In the fifth grade at St. Hugo you could start playing sports. My two best friends had decided they wanted to play volleyball so I decided to try out. One of my friends made the A team, the other made the B team, and I made the C team. The C team is basically where they put the kids who should get cut, but they don't cut them. I was not good. In my white Nike kneepads and my white Mizuno shoes with pink and green laces, I was ready to play. Everyone played all around so you could decide what you would want to play in the future. I thought I wanted to set, but that obviously changed.
   After the season was over, I did camps with my two friends so I could improve. Then, in sixth grade I made the A Team! I wanted to be an outside hitter at this point but since I wasn't the best hitter on first string, I had to hit right side. I never got set and it wasn't fun. During this season I kept trying to tell my coach to let me overhand serve because I could do it over the big net, but she still wouldn't let me.
   I did travel that year at Michigan Elite Volleyball Academy (MEVBA). I was an outside hitter here and my coach actually let me overhand and found it ridiculous that I wasn't allowed to in school. This season was so much fun and I loved my coach so much.
   Next, I played St. Hugo volleyball in the fall of seventh grade (Even though I switched schools I played here still). I was on the B team because I was in the younger grade. This season was very fun and we had a great team. Also in seventh grade, I played fro the East Hills team in the winter. This was fun too because I was with all my new friends and got elected captain of the team.
    Then, after that season was over I played travel at SuperNOVA. This was fun too because I got to meet so many new people and have a fun spring. When that was over I played eighth grade volleyball at East Hills and was elected captain again. This season was even better than the last. I loved it so much and couldn't wait for high school. I didn't play travel that year but I did do open gyms during the summer.
    Now high school is here and I am planning on playing on JV as a freshman. I am planning on playing travel this year and maybe even doing beach in the summer!
-Olivia Smith-

No comments:

Post a Comment