Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My Switch to Middle Hitting

   When I tried out for my middle school 7th grade volleyball team, I wanted to be an outside hitter. That is was I had always been and I knew how to do it. At that time I was about 5'7" and was the tallest one there. After making the team we went around in a circle saying what position you want to play, of course I said outside hitter because I have never known any different. Immediately, the coach, Hailey, said I wasn't going to do that. It made me extremely confused until she put me in the middle. I had to learn a whole new position and do thing I didn't have to do as an outside hitter. I have to block, get out of the setters way, and cover tips.
   Now, two years later, I played on a national travel team, 8th grade team, and a JV high school volleyball as a middle hitter. Becoming a middle was a very different change. I believe it is much more difficult that outside hitting, at least for me. I find it hard to get out of the setters way when they are sprinting for a ball but somehow, most of the time, I get out of the way. I love middle hitting and I am so glad the switch was made.
-Olivia Smith-

No comments:

Post a Comment